Monday, August 9, 2010

KEEP SILENT AND MOVE ON?

I read this from someone on Facebook that all atheists should be quiet and move on. I am not an atheist, but I was silent, tsked tsked when I heard about abortion clinics getting bombed, doctors getting murdered, gays getting killed or beat up, just because they are gay; Katrina happened because of the wrath of God, etc. I used to say "How mean spirited of them", but I would never speak out. I was a Christian, as Sam Harris said, a moderate Christian. I did not want to offend "fundies", but I was dismayed at the innocent people getting killed or beat up, the Katrina victims getting beat up on, etc.

I had read the Bible, questioned a lot of things, became a victim back in 1999 at my church because they said I lacked faith. I became somewhat agnostic after that incident, but I still held on my faith. However, once again I became the target because I dared to question and kudos atheists' blogs. They did not like the company I was keeping, and they made no bones about it.

No, I never proselytized at work either, or my friends, or my neighbors. I always turned away from the abuse being done to others in the name of God.

I decided I was a Deist, and liked Jesus. However, the things I was taught about Jesus was not true. Jesus is not God, that was a title that fell to him. Jesus never claimed to be God.

Yes, I was your typical moderate Christian, I am ashamed to say. I will not be silent or walk away, any longer.

1 comment:

  1. :) good on new, you be you Doni.

    I'm not a Christian anymore but I admire you for being you! I seem to remember a certain "mike" having a go at you too.

    I was told that "god" allowed 9/11 as well as the Tsunami, I cannot believe that, I cannot accept that that would be true.

    P.L.U.R :)

    ReplyDelete